Hi it’s Regina Kravitz…the fashionpassionista…
Well I’ve done my first round of Fall trend snooping to decide the must-haves I will need in my own wardrobe to make this Fall effortless, current and chic. For me, the essence of an efficient wardrobe is to have the right pieces which quickly and easily update your existing wardrobe and give you the flexibility and confidence to adapt them to multiple wardrobe occasions. God knows, we all have tons of stuff in our closets, but a “functional” seasonal wardrobe that does not make. Like a well-groomed garden, it takes thought, planning and time to pull it all together and the right selection. Not everything has to be expensive, either. The right look exists at every price point at good quality, too.
First, however, start with a little closet clean up. Throw out anything with stain, signs of wear or damages. Look carefully. Toss out things you think you might wear but in actuality, when you put them on, the fit is all wrong … unless it’s fabulous vintage; get rid of items hanging around a few years. Hopelessly too small? Get rid of it! Separate all of your spring, summer items and put aside or pack up anything you can’t bear to throw away but don’t fit into this season’s formula. Aim to make your new Fall launching pad tight and well edited. Hang your clothes in outfit modules, the way you might actually wear them. I often also put another piece with an accessory or scarf right nearby to make it most efficient to change my look quickly.
And why not shop in your own closet? If you do have the right pieces in the following categories, keep them in the mix….
Menswear looks: Classic tailored blazers, pants, coats, trenches, but especially in glen plaids, pinstripes, herringbones and checks. These can be mixed later with leather pieces and jeans to look smashing and a feminine lace cami or lace tee. I’m buying a men’s foulard pocket square. I like this around my neck as well as tucked into a pocket with a lace top under a jacket. (Mixing of patterns, textures, layers, pieces, BTW, is the key.)
Lingerie inspired: Camis, lace slips, lace tops, anything very femme but luxurious … silks, thin underwear cashmere layers.
Greens: Emerald to forest are the hottest accents this Fall.
My top 10 picks and/or items I personally covet for this Fall:
2) Leather, Leather and Leather: Slim pencil skirt or one with zippers and hardware. Leather tee looks new and easy … can be mixed with dressy bottoms. Leather Jacket … while the Moto is definitely the big trend of the season, I prefer something a little more feminine like Burberry’s peplum. Love it over a fitted dress, as well.
3) Leggings: Leather leggings or if you are not springing for the real thing, lots of great faux leather leggings and waxed denims. Mixed fabrics with stripes down the side.
4) Abstract Print Dress in double knit. Fabrics are heavier this Fall, close to the body. The knits have a puffy feeling in the print.
5) Oversized Slouch Coat: Wear this over the lean leg, moto bootie & boxy sweatshirt shape top.
6) Sweatshirt: Silhouette in anything from casual, to cashmere, to brocade & lurex. The important Fall top.
7) Jumpsuits: Easy, effortless. I feature one from my own line available in rayon jersey, sizes xs-xl, with or without the surplus back … $198.00. (email@example.com)
8 ) Hobo Bag: As we all know, the right hand bag qualifies for 10 points. The shape has changed to an elongated sort of sac. Even ladylike handbags also have a longer rectangular look. Totes look great in hot colors with interesting hardware.
9) Winter White: Dresses, tops, all monochromatic from head to toe.
10) Accessories: Studded belt – This is hot!!! By Gucci…the perfect update item AND the leather bracelet/cuff…it’s all about hardware.
The Look: The overall feel of this Fall is a bit hard edge and motorcycle oriented. To soften and feminize the face is the most important accessory: less make up, strong doe eyes and crimson lips is the perfect counterbalance. Also, hair is a little messy and you will see more updos, hastily and wispily pinned.